chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:6 Polands, 2 Bovans Goldline, 2 Pekins
  • How did you find us?:internet
  • LocationMersea Island
My Silkie has been doing watery poop since the summer. When it first started I thought it may be due to her drinking too much water, but it has gone on ever since. She is very unlady like and expels this watery poop with quite a load windy sound (sorry for description!).  It is mostly water with bits of pellett looking stuff in. I picked her up yesterday and in spite of looking very fat because of her silkie feathers she is in fact quite small underneath  so I am now concerned that she is not getting any nutrition from her food. When I cleared the coop out today, having noticed where she sat all night I examined her watery poop more carefully and noticed there was also undigested corn in it. Do they usually pass corn undigested or it this another reason to think everything is just going straight through her? Any suggestions on what to give her to help her produce more solid poop?

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Chickens should digest corn.....not like us!LOL  Below her vent is it still swollen? If she is it'll be squishy if you gently palpate it.  If it is this she has ascites and unfortunately it happens. I have one hen with it right now, she has problems digesting some foods as well and no longer lays. That said my girl does digest her pellets, at least I believe she does as I've never seen any undigested. She goes poop with a gush!

chicken mum

chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMersea Island

Christine, on 06 November 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Chickens should digest corn.....not like us!LOL  Below her vent is it still swollen? If she is it'll be squishy if you gently palpate it.  If it is this she has ascites and unfortunately it happens. I have one hen with it right now, she has problems digesting some foods as well and no longer lays. That said my girl does digest her pellets, at least I believe she does as I've never seen any undigested. She goes poop with a gush!
I have googled ascites and gone out and checked my chook but she is not not showing any of the symptoms of this (except the water poop). She does not have a swollen tummy and her vent is all Ok. Any other suggestions as to what it might be, or any product I could give her to help her pass proper poop?.Your chook that poops with a gush is a very good description of how mine does it! Very un lady like and done with a noise!

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Have you tried her on charcoal, very old fashioned and heavens knows where you'd lay your hands on some! Chemist might be able to help.

chicken mum

chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMersea Island
I was wondering about charcoal as I did read an article on it a month or so ago, and how it helped their stomachs. Now I just have to find some. Am I looking for a liquid do you think??

damian

damian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:bantams(pos wellsumer) ,light sussex and looking to get frizzle or silkies pos both
  • How did you find us?:google
  • Locationleighton buzzard
when mine get the trots (sorry) i use apple cider viniger and it goes in a day or two.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Mine have ACV one week in four, so its never helped. I think charcoal would come in tablet form, maybe from health shop or chemist, then you'd have to crush it.

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
On the subject of charcoal try googling dog supplements or small animal supplemem's.

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • LocationEssex
Sorry for double posting can't see were to edit my post.

Anywho what about charcoal for BBQ's is that not just audinary charcoal or has it been treated with chemicals??

chicken mum

chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMersea Island
I have found, and ordered some Charcoal. Thanks Henny, it was under dog supplements (also says Dogs and livestock). Cost £6.45 with postage. It says you just sprinkle it on the feed so I assume I will have to add it to their pellets and let them all eat it. Or maybe I could ground it down and dip a grape in it to give it just to the one chicken??. I don't suppose it will hurt for them all to have it though. Thanks for your help Henny and Christine.

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationEssex
Put it as it is in the run it maybe fun for them to peck at it I don't think it could be less tastefull then a cuttle fish bone.

Having said that an apple or grape maybe better I'm not sure charcoal left in the run would look too great after a downpoor.

chicken mum

chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMersea Island
Unfortunately my little Silkie died today. I had been giving her charcoal but can only assume she had more issues than just an upset tummy. Because she is the second one to die in about a month I have spent the afternoon deep cleaning the coop. She was ill roughly about the time I lost my other chook so I think that whatever they had it was the same thing. I am worming the others and still giving charcoal and poultry tonic so keeping fingers crossed that I don't loose any more.

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationEssex
Awww sorry for your loss :<

Have you got flubenvet layers pellets?

My henny penny was feeling a bit under the weather their must be something in the air I guess as another member reported something similar happening to their girls a while back. I bought some farmgate layers pellets with flubenvet and since she has been on them has shone no signs of an illness and her poop is almost normal now.

Garlic is also said to be good for the imune systerm and is a key ingrediant in Verm X products.

chicken mum

chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMersea Island
Yes I have put them on the flubenvet layers pellets for the week. I am also adding food grade diatomas Earth and charcoal to any treats they have. The other problem is that they free range in part of the garden and it is just a squidgy mud fest and has been for some time. They have slabs in their run but the garden is horrible. In the summer I sweep the garden part and scoop the poop, but with it like it is you cant sweep and the poop just gets mushed in. Im sure it cannot be helping their health. I have already taken part of their garden off them to rest it and grow the grass back so I cannot move them anymore than that.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Our hens paddock is their area year round. The only time we had hens die unexpectedly was when I stupidly bought in 2 layers and didn't worm them immediately they both died within a month. All hens bought in since are wormed regardless of what I might be told. Hens have dropped of their roosts dead but they've had a few years under their feathers by then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users