lucyandlola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:warrens
  • How did you find us?:google
  • Locationcheshire
Hi, I have a 10 month old warren that had a horrible prolapse 4 weeks ago. After bringing her indoors for 3 days and daily baths the prolapse was gone and she was much better. I put her back with her sister. Everything has been fine for the last 4 weeks but she didn't lay which was a good thing.
Yesterday she layed a soft shell then today a normal egg but has prolapsed again. Not as bad as last time but she did bleed.
So she is back indoors I have put the prolapse back and she seems ok. Im not sure if the prolapse bleed cause prolapses do or if it was pecked.
Also after the first prolapse she had a constant dripping vent. It was clear fluid but it burnt her skin. I applied my toddlers sudocreme and it healed great but no idea what the clear fluid was. I was drying her bottem 6-8 times a day.
Is there hope for my hen or is this going to happen after every egg now?
Thank you, Julie.

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex

lucyandlola, on 11 October 2011 - 10:10 PM, said:

Hi, I have a 10 month old warren that had a horrible prolapse 4 weeks ago. After bringing her indoors for 3 days and daily baths the prolapse was gone and she was much better. I put her back with her sister. Everything has been fine for the last 4 weeks but she didn't lay which was a good thing.
Yesterday she layed a soft shell then today a normal egg but has prolapsed again. Not as bad as last time but she did bleed.
So she is back indoors I have put the prolapse back and she seems ok. Im not sure if the prolapse bleed cause prolapses do or if it was pecked.
Also after the first prolapse she had a constant dripping vent. It was clear fluid but it burnt her skin. I applied my toddlers sudocreme and it healed great but no idea what the clear fluid was. I was drying her bottem 6-8 times a day.
Is there hope for my hen or is this going to happen after every egg now?
Thank you, Julie.

Im sorry to say that by from what you have described it will very probably happen again it sounds to me like the dripping could be from an egg she has laid inside of herself and its just comming out the only way available. You have to ask yourself is this fair to put her through this every time she has a prolapse ??? It's good that you can fix the problem yourself most of the time but theirs not a lot more you can do about the situation apart from contact an avian vet and for the propper advice.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Unfortunately in some hens the process behind egg laying suddenly goes wrong for no reason that we can see, this can result in a number of things, one of which is for the vent/gleet area to prolapse. Part and parcel of a prolapse is for a very odorous discharge from the vent which constantly drips. A couple of reasons for a prolapse are hen being egg bound, laying a whopper, tumours or just plain fright.

You obvioulsy eased the prolapse back in yourself. Did you use a haemorrhoid cream such as Preparation H, this can help in reducing the size of the prolapse and some imflammation. Using Sudocrem was the right thing to do. I always say if its OK for a baby skin, its OK for a chicken!

The problem with prolapses is they happen again and again and if she is breeding stock often its hereditary. Due to this, in my humble, culling is the best option for the hen.

craft widower

craft widower

I ALSO SHARE MY ACCOUNT WITH MY DAUGHTER STEPHANIE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Warren hybrids, Blue Ranger, White Stars.
  • LocationSt Helens Merseyside U.K
It's really sad when things like this happen

lucyandlola

lucyandlola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationcheshire
Well very good news. The prolapse has never happened again and she has been laying again for over a week now with no problems. I'm so pleased I didn't loose her. Thanks for all your help.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Glad to hear she is doing well.

lucyandlola

lucyandlola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationcheshire
Thanks Christine, I would love to know why this happened. Her eggs have always been a good size and she has layed whoppers in the past with no problems. So have no idea what could of caused it. I'm just glad I gave her 1 more day because I had made an appointment at the vets to have her put to sleep. I just hope it doesn't happen again. The poor hen thinks I have gone mad! She has a bum inspection everyday now lol

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
It does seem to happen with some hens, not all that lay large eggs either, though I think the majority with the problem do. I have a feeling it can be hereditary as well, so best not to breed for hens predisposed to it. It is said that the likelihood is for it to happen again, so you are doing the best for her by keeping a check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users