Sudden onset of small eggs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Hybrids as a hobby.
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationBurton on Trent
Hi,

I've had my hens for 18months now and have until recently enjoyed lots of eggs from them.  I understand that during the moult they do produce fewer eggs, but one of my hens has really confused me.  For the last 5 days she has laid quail sized eggs and previously we have had beautiful large white eggs from her.  Has anyone else seen this happen?  And do you think she will revert back to large eggs at some point??

Thanks
Carolyn

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
As you mention moulting, is she in moult or showing signs of moult? Egg sizes do fluctuate throughout their egg laying, do you know what the weights actually were?

Chickenlips

Chickenlips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Marsh Daisy, Scots Dumpy
  • How did you find us?:search engine
  • Locationdevon
She's obviously coming to the end of her lay, and the small eggs are the last in her ovaries ready to lay, until she has moulted and rested and will then begin to lay again. When she does she will again lay small eggs until in full lay and the eggs will return to normal size.

Perfectly normal behaviour and nothing to worry about.

Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the comments and sorry I don't know the weight of the eggs.  Hopefully she is has possibly stopped for moult now as we've not had any for the last couple of days.  We've also got a chicken who lays eggs with crinckly shells - has anyone seen that at all??  Thanks.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
If she is just 18 months old she certainly shouldn't be coming to the end of laying. She may well be about to moult and if they don't actually stop laying, they do then tend to lay a smaller egg. This will continue whilst they refeather, its a good time to supplement their feed with something like Poultry Spice sprinkled onto their pellets, just giving them an added boost.

kennethw

kennethw

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Locationhants/Dorset border
have these small eggs got a yolk or just albumen? One of mine has done this in the past, laying a "wind egg", just releasing white, this is coated with a shell and externally resembles a small egg

Carolyn

Carolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for all of the advice.  I've cracked all of the "wind eggs" and they all have no yolk at all.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Are the chickens overweight? Do you give them daily treats of mixed corn? Laying hens shouldn't have more than an eggcupful of mixed corn per day,  as it does tend to fatten them up and then laying becomes less or non existant.

MarieR

MarieR

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Locationbasildon
one of mine has been laying them on and off for a few months, think it may be lainey, my old girl, shes coming up to 4 now and lays few and far between, but i have a couple of youngsters who should start laying very soon, theyre about 20 weeks now, one of my wind eggs had a partial yolk , but didnt look right so the dogs have them now, waste not want not

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users