• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

chickadee

chickadee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 white leghorns,2 skylines,2 copper marans,1 goldline, 1 bluebell,1 nera,1 speckledy,1 white sussex and 1 silver sussex
  • How did you find us?:internet search engine
  • LocationEast Anglia
Any ideas on how I can convert my 6x4 shed into a chicken coop for up to 12 chooks?  My fully enclosed walk in run is attached to the shed via the  shed roof but we currently use it as a shed and the chickens have a separate coop freestanding in the run.  Now that I plan to increase my brood the coop will no longerbee big enough and would like more nesting boxes and more space for them to perch.
So somehow I shall need to cut a hole in the side of the shed but do I do it high up and provide a ramp, or lower down???  The side that is connected to the run has the shed window in (perspex), if I remove it it would leave a very large access hole but I imagine this would be very cold in the winter?  Also I am concerned about opening the shed door and the chickens escaping.  Any ideas about how to go about nest boxes?  where I should put them, attach them or even make them from, and where should I locate the perches? Oh dear I really don't know where to start!!!!
Any advice would be gratefully recieved!

chickadee

chickadee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 white leghorns,2 skylines,2 copper marans,1 goldline, 1 bluebell,1 nera,1 speckledy,1 white sussex and 1 silver sussex
  • LocationEast Anglia
Posted Image
This is my run and as you can see it attches onto my shed which is currently used just as a shed.

Posted Image
This is the current coop, as you can see behind it is the side of the shed and a window which could be removed but is quite large??

Fluffychooks

Fluffychooks

Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,506 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Silkies, 1 Poland.
  • How did you find us?:Dean's article in the Echo
  • LocationBasildon, Essex
I'm sure you'll have plenty of room in there for more than 12!!  My hens walk up a ladder into their run so height is no problem for them but obviously it's what's on the other side of the entrance so you could put a shelf inside the shed for them to walk onto and then maybe have perches like broom handles at different heights but then you want to be able to get into the shed yourself without having to do acrobatics over perches!  You could make a shelf on one side of the shed and put boxes or baskets there to act as nesting boxes or build something more elaborate.  Easy isn't it!! LOL!!  If you search on google you'll find lots of ideas!  Good luck and take some photos so we can see what to do ourselves!!
Nina

http://www.urban-chickens.com - where great chicken keepers are found!!

chickenbox

chickenbox

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:cream crested legbars light sussex speckled sussex lohman browns warrens golden campines
  • How did you find us?:it found me
  • Locationwickford essexuk
most of my chickens are housed in six by four sheds with runs attached
I cut out a pophole low down near the floor then fit a framework inside and out to hold the overlap together around the hole  i then fix a ladder of perches to the back and nest box inside at the front, you should have no trouble collecting eggs and such opening the door as if yours are anything like mine they will be busy in the run as i leave the popholes open all the time because they cant go anywhere and foxes cannot get in/ nina will tell you what they look like as she has seen them

mick

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins, Cochins,Welsummers, hybrids,Orpington and Ancona
  • How did you find us?:adice from another site
  • Locationnorthampton england
we have converted our shed have put a opening at the bottom and have a ramp that can be pulled up and locked up at night on oppisite side of the door we have used old chest of draw ,draws as nesting boxes and have attached them to a shelf which we attached to the joints then have used old broom handles across the middle to use as perches have only had 1 chicken escape out of the door soon got ur back in with some corn

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Make as much of the interior removable as possible, so that you can give it all a good scrub out as and when needed, also easier  to keep the dreaded red mite at bay.

legionaireman

legionaireman

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • LocationBasildon, Essex
Hiya
Where to start...

Personaly I would: Starting at waist height put in a false floor (make it easier to clean out..its not the height thats the decider but floor plan area)
This will leave you a convienient storage space underneath.

see if you can find something like a bannister rail about 12' long (for 2 x 6' perches) to go lengthwise down the shed positioned on the door frame, about 4" above the new 'floor'. If you put little A frame legs on them you can pull them out for cleaning etc.

Where the window is you can make a sliding 'door' for a pophole either up or sideways sliding (going up makes it easier to install an automatic opener) With a pophole you can shut the girls out when you want to open the door for cleaning etc.

on the righthand side of the shed you can make either an additional nest box with a sloping roof similar to most commercialy available coops. OR you can cut a large rectangular access hole, put hinges on the top and the nest boxes inside on a shelf (slightly lower than the perches). I bought some plastic 'mesh' trays about 300x 150x 70mm deep which I have secured to the nest area base with a neat 'twist' lock arrangement to stop the girls tipping them up.
A bit simplified but hard to describe what should realy be drawn out...

A nice ramp up to the pop hole completes the job  :wasntme:
have fun
Brian

chickadee

chickadee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationEast Anglia
Thankyou everyone for all your input, been great getting ideas which we put to practice today and between hubby and myself came up with a fab conversion that hopefully our chooks (and new chooks) will love  :clap:
http://i512.photobuc.../oct2010027.jpg

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins, Cochins,Welsummers, hybrids,Orpington and Ancona
looks really good where did u get the nest boxs from

chickadee

chickadee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationEast Anglia

View Postjules, on 25 September 2010 - 08:46 PM, said:

looks really good where did u get the nest boxs from

Thankyou  :smile:  We did it all totally on a shoe string budget so the nest boxes are simply bog standard 25 litre white plastic buckets with lids which my hubby sawed down to a 1/4 to give the nest box a protective lip at the bottom.
Hopefully the eggs will end up in there not on the floor  :unsure:

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

View Postchickadee, on 25 September 2010 - 08:52 PM, said:

Thankyou  :smile:  We did it all totally on a shoe string budget so the nest boxes are simply bog standard 25 litre white plastic buckets with lids which my hubby sawed down to a 1/4 to give the nest box a protective lip at the bottom.
Hopefully the eggs will end up in there not on the floor  :unsure:
may have to nick tat idea let us no if they work

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Great idea for the nest boxes but are they totally at ground level or did you put the false floor in as suggested by legionnaireman? If they are at ground level it could be an open invitation to vermin. I know you probably took the picture with the door to the shed wide open but it does look very light and the birds will want to lay in a dark place where they feel safe from predators.

chickadee

chickadee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationEast Anglia

View PostChristine, on 26 September 2010 - 10:16 AM, said:

Great idea for the nest boxes but are they totally at ground level or did you put the false floor in as suggested by legionnaireman? If they are at ground level it could be an open invitation to vermin. I know you probably took the picture with the door to the shed wide open but it does look very light and the birds will want to lay in a dark place where they feel safe from predators.

Hi, the door was open it is nice an dark in there otherwise.  The floor has been raised a bit but not too high so that the nest boxes are not totally at ground level, the level is a step up once you enter the shed we have also tried to make as much of the interior as removable as possible. We have also surrounded the entire shed with galvanised mesh with a skirt so fingers crossed that will keep the rodents away.

leos-mama

leos-mama

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:warrens x 2<br />bantum leghorn x 1<br />silkie x 1<br />booted bantums x 2
  • How did you find us?:browsing google
  • Locationstaffordshire
Hi this is fab, I have just posted to see how to do this.  I am so impressed.  Do you have any more photos close ups of the features etc.  Also if I am converting my shed do I need to put a window in as mine is completely dark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users