chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:6 Polands, 2 Bovans Goldline, 2 Pekins
  • How did you find us?:internet
  • LocationMersea Island
I am thinking about adding a Bluebell chicken to my little gang. Does anyone have a Bluebell or know anything about them?. Just want to know if they are OK egg layers, whether they go broody, are they friendly etc. Any info welcome.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
I have 4 Bluebelles currently in my flock. They are not a small hybrid, probably one of the larger ones in fact. Very long legs! They have never gone broody and in theory shouldn't as they are hybrids but I never say never! I have found them great egg layers, they lay a brown egg and although they do have a day off from laying its rare at the moment. Are they friendly? As friendly as any other chicken I've owned and if I sit in the chicken area they will come and sit on me. Its fair to say they are quite flighty though and have a much longer beak.  You'll find they do vary a little in colour, some will have an almost black collar and head whilst others will be a beautiful grey.

I'll go see if I have a pic of one alongside another adult bird, so you can see size difference.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
This is probably the best one to show size difference. The two creamy white ones are Ambers (hybrids), they are both 20 months or there abouts in this pic. One of those pair is Milly, head hen. The Bluebelle is Hannah, about 30 weeks in this pic.
Bluebelles comb and wattles are often not bright red. Hannah has some black in her comb.

Posted Image

chicken mum

chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMersea Island
Thanks Christine. They are a lot larger than I thought. Think I may look for something a little bit smaller. The picture was very useful, I had seen one when I googled them and I thought they looked quite round and small!

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
No they are anything but small!

daniellesdogs

daniellesdogs

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  • Locationthurrock, essex
i have 3 not laying as well as my light sussex but still quite big hens. one is lovely and doesnt mind a cuddle the bigger 2 will come over but dont like being picked up. they not bullies which is good as they come down to eat the bantam chicks  food

Cleo

Cleo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Leg Horn, Americana's, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Plymouth Rock
  • How did you find us?:Internet
  • LocationUtah

Christine, on 07 September 2010 - 08:22 AM, said:

This is probably the best one to show size difference. The two creamy white ones are Ambers (hybrids), they are both 20 months or there abouts in this pic. One of those pair is Milly, head hen. The Bluebelle is Hannah, about 30 weeks in this pic.
Bluebelles comb and wattles are often not bright red. Hannah has some black in her comb.

Posted Image

Christine  , How  are they   in  cold weather, they are  pretty   the two  wihite  hens  look just like my   white leghorns
   the  two gray are really stunning

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
Lay HUGE eggs!!

At least my bluebelle lily does she lays enough in one for two! Very reliable layers had a few sources say they are more prone to illness then other hybrids and must be free ranged a lot as they are high energy hens and will get bored very easily if confined all the time to a basic sized ready made run. They have great personalities my Lily is a real character she loves dust baths! She enjoys my company and is very social, if I pick her up she will start to groom me if I run fingers through her feathers which is not good as I am ticklish o.0

I had one die of an impacted crop earlier this year my other hen Lily the last remaining has re-occuring issues with lice -.-

my advice would be to seek out a reliable breeder as they are a lot of different strains of bluebeles out their but only the true bluebeles are a cross between a maran and a rhode island red a true bluebele will lay very dark chocolate coloured eggs.

chicken mum

chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMersea Island
Thanks for help. I think they are not quite for me. I love what I call fat round fluffy types of chickens. So change of chicken! does anyone have Golden Brahmas? think they may be more me. Are they ok egg layers and do they go broody? More help please!!

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Never had a days illness with the Bluebelles and they all were great last winter with snow on the ground, they continued to lay, maybe the warm oats helped.

I adore them all but the Bluebelles have such amazing characters. Hyacinth was named after Mrs Bucket on the TV, she just never shuts up! LOL

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
In my experience Brahmas are very bad layers after 2 years your lucky if you get one egg a week i hear they are supurb layers and def from own experience they are garden friendly too neither of my goldies like to stick their heads under bushes and you dont need a very high fence as they hate stepping over things it took them weeks to work your supposed to be put one foot over the other and are very slow developers. They are not good for beginers and should really be housed free range as they become bored easily. In the winter they may need some extra maintenence and should not really be housed with other hens unless they are of similar style and kept free range.

They have very friendly personalities and are very sweet natured when food can be seen,

Light sussex are small-mediam roundish birds with nice shape good layers excellent broodys especially the hybrids of light sussex and have little problems.

Cleo

Cleo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Leg Horn, Americana's, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Plymouth Rock
  • LocationUtah

Christine, on 07 September 2010 - 08:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

Hi Christine,  your two white hens look just like my white leghorns

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Those two aren't pure white now, they were pretty much until they had a partial moult but now they have Amber feathers amongst the white. They are a hybrid known as Ambers, but they do have leghorn in them.

Cleo

Cleo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUtah
I really like the  Bluebells also   I will  have to check around  come march of next  year  and maybe order me  a few.

Cleo

Cleo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUtah

Christine, on 08 September 2010 - 07:48 AM, said:

Never had a days illness with the Bluebelles and they all were great last winter with snow on the ground, they continued to lay, maybe the warm oats helped.

I adore them all but the Bluebelles have such amazing characters. Hyacinth was named after Mrs Bucket on the TV, she just never shuts up! LOL

O h I loved that show cant think of the name of it right now but her sister s were all named after  flowers.
they   quit showing it here in the states .  are they  still  running there   ?   Hyacinth was  something else  :grin:

Kevin

Kevin

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Black Rock
  • How did you find us?:.
  • LocationSouthend-on-sea, Essex
i have 2 bluebells which are the same size as my hybrids. they have laid an eggs continuosly since starting to laid.. my two have some red/brown in them as well.. so poss not true bluebells.

MarieR

MarieR

Site Legend

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Locationbasildon

Cleo, on 10 September 2010 - 11:26 PM, said:

O h I loved that show cant think of the name of it right now but her sister s were all named after  flowers.
they   quit showing it here in the states .  are they  still  running there   ?   Hyacinth was  something else  :grin:

keeping up appearances was the name, im sure theyre still running the old episodes on cable now

Cleo

Cleo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUtah

MarieR, on 11 September 2010 - 02:01 PM, said:

keeping up appearances was the name, im sure theyre still running the old episodes on cable now

Hi MarieR  your right It was Keeping up Appearance s,  we  don't have  cable  we satellite dish and I haven't seen  any of the channels  with theat show on . dang !!!!!

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Yes it was Keeping up Appearances....Hyacinth Bucket alias Hyacinth Bouquet!

I tell you if chicken kingdom ever need a spokeshen, our Hyacinth would take on the challenge with relish.

Cleo

Cleo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUtah

Christine, on 13 September 2010 - 12:58 PM, said:

Yes it was Keeping up Appearances....Hyacinth Bucket alias Hyacinth Bouquet!

I tell you if chicken kingdom ever need a spokeshen, our Hyacinth would take on the challenge with relish.

that s to funny !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users