chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:6 Polands, 2 Bovans Goldline, 2 Pekins
  • How did you find us?:internet
  • LocationMersea Island
One of my chickens (Betty)made a bid for freedom today. My chickens have a coop with internal run, then an outside area that we have fenced off with chicken wire (no roof).
The entrance has a gate my hubby made which is approx just under a metre high. The chicken wire round the run is about a metre high. We only let them out into the run when we are home, but today I happened to look out and see Betty jump/fly up onto the gate. I slowly approached her and managed to get her back down into the run. I didn't know they could get so high. How high should my run and fence be to stop the great escape. I am now concerned that they could also jump up onto the coop then from there get over the fence.
Also I gave my girls a sweetcorn on the cob to peck at, now my lovely white silkie (Twinkle) has a yellow face and head! Im not sure if it will come off over time or if I need to somehow wash her, she really enjoyed though. :smile:

Fluffychooks

Fluffychooks

Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,506 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Silkies, 1 Poland.
  • How did you find us?:Dean's article in the Echo
  • LocationBasildon, Essex
A metre is no height for a chicken!  Probably 2 metres would be about right!  A determined chicken will not give up!  Have you clipped their wings? One wing only to get them off balance, although I don't think that wing clipping will stop them getting over such a low fence really.
Nina

http://www.urban-chickens.com - where great chicken keepers are found!!

chicken mum

chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMersea Island
We had Betty and Lola's wings clipped when we got them a week ago. We have added a line of wire above the fence to add extra hight, so now it is just over a metre. We have temporarily added a piece of chicken wire on top of the gate, which we will do better on the weekend when we have the time and tools. I would really like to add a chicken wire roof to the run but I need to be able to get in it to clean the coop and check for eggs (none yet as my girls are still to young), but we (hubby!) is not a great DIYer.

Fluffychooks

Fluffychooks

Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,506 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Silkies, 1 Poland.
  • How did you find us?:Dean's article in the Echo
  • LocationBasildon, Essex
I think if they are going to get over a fence, they like something solid to put their feet on, if you're adding wire/netting it'll be more flimsy so may put your escapee off!!
Nina

http://www.urban-chickens.com - where great chicken keepers are found!!

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
2 of my girls could still manage 2 metres with wing clipped. Then we went on holiday and they went to Newland Poultry for their hols and were obviously kept in a run. When they got home they seemed to have forgotten they could clear the fence.....that or now they are fully grown just can't clear it anymore!

Before our hols I swore I was going to exchange their leg rings for mini weights!

chicken mum

chicken mum

Site Legend

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationMersea Island

Christine, on 21 August 2010 - 08:39 AM, said:

2 of my girls could still manage 2 metres with wing clipped. Then we went on holiday and they went to Newland Poultry for their hols and were obviously kept in a run. When they got home they seemed to have forgotten they could clear the fence.....that or now they are fully grown just can't clear it anymore!

Before our hols I swore I was going to exchange their leg rings for mini weights!
Thought I would let you know that after a full day in the garden we have changed everything around, added a very good net I found in B & Q, and now there is no escape (I hope!). The coop and run look much better, and they cannot fly/jump out. It wont keep a fox out but it keeps the girls in and the cats out. The girls love it as well as the run is also a lot bigger. :smile:

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Super, you will feel more relaxed about the girls being out and about now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users