Sneezing Chickens

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Helen Chucky

Helen Chucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Large Fowl: Silver Spangled Appenzellers, Blue Orpingtons. Bantams: Gold Partridge & Crele Dutch, Gold Partridge and Silver Birchen Pekins, Lemon Millefleur and Porcelain Booted Bantams.
  • How did you find us?:Through Fancy Fowl
  • LocationNorthumberland
Hi Everyone

I've got 5 Orpingtons (19wks) they seem to have colds, one in particular has been sneezing alot, when I held him up he does seem to have a ruttle in his throat but...

There is no discharge from the eyes or nostrils...
Not Lethargic...
Eating loads as usual...
Poo's are slightly watery...
They free range around the farm so can pick at anything, favourite has been my tubs with fuchasias that have now been hung up so they can't reach...

Anyone have any ideas.

Helen

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
It may well pass  

I would keep a close eye on it check on them before dusk i think its called Tylon is what most members recomend when a hen has the sniffles.

daniellesdogs

daniellesdogs

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  • Locationthurrock, essex
mine started sneezing last year  next thing they got swollen eyes then died befor could get oppointment at vets. i lost the lot but 2 roosters. im keeping such close eye on them now.

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins, Cochins,Welsummers, hybrids,Orpington and Ancona
  • How did you find us?:adice from another site
  • Locationnorthampton england
i lost one and had 6 pretty ill the only symptoms were sneezing and a bit wheezy then the one died took to the vet and they had respitory infection gave me antibiotics and they all fine now

cuckoomad

cuckoomad

Site Legend

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins
  • How did you find us?:Through another forum
  • LocationNear Rugby
It could be something or it could be nothing.
If you take the wait and see approach if its nothing all well and good but if it is something more serious then you are a couple of days to late in starting a treatment that could cure it.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
I am in agreement with the others it could be something in nothing. I had one a few weeks back which was sneezing, with a slight discharge from a nostril, turned out to be a bit of corn stuck!

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
trouble with the sniffles is it could be just the weather has turned cold too quickly for them or it could be very serious they may just brush it off you never can tell.

when my two bluebeles and maran boy got the sniffles and rattely chest i put it down to the weather but i checked on them again at night and one hen was in a very bad way both the hens were coughing up blood and sneazing it all over the show i thought i was going to loose them right their one especially took a turn for the first and took immediate action by syringe feeding her water to ensure she wasnt dehydrated she was running a massive tempreture and very distressed like she could drop dead at any minute but after some water she pirked straight up and seemed to be fighting off from then on! She went from looking as though she was on deaths door to spring chicken over night! Sometimes it can just look worse then it is and they can bounse back it was very strange they never had the synptoms again just the one night.

Helen Chucky

Helen Chucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Large Fowl: Silver Spangled Appenzellers, Blue Orpingtons. Bantams: Gold Partridge & Crele Dutch, Gold Partridge and Silver Birchen Pekins, Lemon Millefleur and Porcelain Booted Bantams.
  • LocationNorthumberland
Thank you all. Chucks are still the same. Spoke to our vet this morning and he is going to sort me some antibiotics out. Large Animal Practice so not really into chickens but he'll get me sorted I hope...I'll keep you posted.

Helen Chucky

Helen Chucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland
Hi All
Chooks on 7 day course of Baytril 2.5% - Only problem is I have to inject twice daily and I've only just got these eating out of my hand - Might ask my better half to jab them, then I'm not in their bad books....
Vet has said if no improvement after 2 days there are some drops that I can give them orally. Hopefully they be ok.. Don't like it when my girls and boys aren't well.

Fluffychooks

Fluffychooks

Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,506 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Silkies, 1 Poland.
  • How did you find us?:Dean's article in the Echo
  • LocationBasildon, Essex
I hope the baytril does the trick.  Let us know how it goes.
Nina

http://www.urban-chickens.com - where great chicken keepers are found!!

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Did the vet say what he thought it was? Upper respiratory tract!

Helen Chucky

Helen Chucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland

Christine, on 18 August 2010 - 01:23 PM, said:

Did the vet say what he thought it was? Upper respiratory tract!

Hi Christine
He did say what it was but I can't remember. I do remember him saying its airborne as I had 2 pens in separate buildings that had the same symptoms. Orpingtons are ok now, no sneezing or anything. My 3 Lemon Cuckoo Pekin girls are suffering the worst, 2 have perked up since starting the Baytril one no real change, there not sneezy just bit dopy and puffy eyes.
Vet did say give them the full course then move onto sum drops that he is going to order up for me.
Poor things know whats coming now when I go in the pen, without food. They must think they are Voodoo dolls.
Helen

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
I hope they continue to improve for you, and its good to hear you have a vet who is willing to treat hens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users