• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins, Cochins,Welsummers, hybrids,Orpington and Ancona
  • How did you find us?:adice from another site
  • Locationnorthampton england
i have 3 5 week old chicks and 1 4 week old chick they r inside of heat when can i put them outside as when we got our 5 week old milliefleurs they were all ready outside the ones inside r pekin bantams and r not totally feathered i thought 5 weeks was to young

Fluffychooks

Fluffychooks

Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,506 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Silkies, 1 Poland.
  • How did you find us?:Dean's article in the Echo
  • LocationBasildon, Essex
I would say yes they could go outside.  Perhaps you could bring them in at night?  Do they have their own coop and run to go into outside?  Altough my 3 week old chicks are with their mums, they've been out since they were a day old.
Nina

http://www.urban-chickens.com - where great chicken keepers are found!!

spizanne

spizanne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Marsh Daisy
  • How did you find us?:searching for POL's
  • LocationDevon
all the breeders I have asked say 6 weeks off heat and 8 weeks to go outside

Foxy

Foxy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Faverolles and cochins
  • How did you find us?:Friend
  • Locationnr Bristol
This time of year my growers are out at 6 weeks, as long as they have others to huddle up with they should be fine!

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins, Cochins,Welsummers, hybrids,Orpington and Ancona
hi they would be with the sablepoots who r allready outside as breeder we got them from had them living outside they r 5 weeks as well

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Definitely get them outside and as Nina says bring them in at night, we do still have some major temp drops at night.

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

AngelBear, on 17 June 2010 - 11:24 AM, said:

Definitely get them outside and as Nina says bring them in at night, we do still have some major temp drops at night.

hi thanks 4 the advice have let them out and they r loving it tell me about the temp drop i was freezing last night

Kevin

Kevin

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Black Rock
  • How did you find us?:.
  • LocationSouthend-on-sea, Essex
thy should fine outside a long as they have some dry to sit on and to keep out of the wind

cuckoomad

cuckoomad

Site Legend

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins
  • How did you find us?:Through another forum
  • LocationNear Rugby
As long as its warm can't see a problem but having said that I don't put mine out until between six and eight weeks depending on the weather and theres a lot of them generating a lot of heat.

Have the run covered, if you get a sudden shower and they get wet, which they will because they havent got the sense to go inside, they will drop like flies.

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
hi it would only be during the day like 2 day been hot and only when im out there

karen

karen

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:warren and trying hatching
  • How did you find us?:yahoo
  • Locationengland hull
ive just been putting my chicks out for an hour a day, depending on weather, and if its a hot day turning off the heat lamp on a day and turning it back on at night when it starts to chill, as the house is warm enough on a day and there nearly 5 weeks now

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
the lady i get mine from takes all hers of heat at 3 weeks so they were already of heat when i got them have had them out yesterday and this morning and then back in about 4 for the night they will be sixweeks on sunday

karen

karen

Super Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:warren and trying hatching
  • How did you find us?:yahoo
  • Locationengland hull

jules, on 18 June 2010 - 09:18 AM, said:

the lady i get mine from takes all hers of heat at 3 weeks so they were already of heat when i got them have had them out yesterday and this morning and then back in about 4 for the night they will be sixweeks on sunday
im gonna have to get a run to put mine out as since i have these light sussex chicks in with them they stink, i never noticed it when only had the two but by god these new chicks pong, or its just that theres 4 now and are getting older :drunk:

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

karen, on 18 June 2010 - 03:53 PM, said:

im gonna have to get a run to put mine out as since i have these light sussex chicks in with them they stink, i never noticed it when only had the two but by god these new chicks pong, or its just that theres 4 now and are getting older :drunk:               think its cause u got more mine the same when it was three once a week was ok to clean now there r 7 its every other day

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
think its cause of u got more and ive noticed as mine got older it smells more so more pooh to get rid of love that job lol

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Haha the pong of poop. Once they are older and outside, put some dried garlic in their water, you will get garlicky smelling poop. Helps to keep the flies down especially in the coop.

topsy

topsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Araucana, orpingtons, silkies
  • How did you find us?:google
  • Locationessex
Mine are 5 weeks and I have them off heat but in a run just inside the garage door which I have open all day and close at night. But I am just learning as this is my first time as a "chicken mum". I intend to slide this run out from under shelter a little more each day until they are totally out in the world (with a shelter in the run of course ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users