Kerryblue

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Silkie
  • How did you find us?:google
  • LocationBillericay Essex
I have a four month old Polish who is pooing blood, not just a little but quite a bit. I have seen what looks like clots of blood. Is anyone able to reassure me whether or not this is ok. I googled it and it worried me a bit as they seemed to say that it may be coccidiosis. The lady that I bought her from has been very supportive but was wondering if anybody else would be able to give me any pointers as to what it could be and if there is anything I can buy from a pet shop to put it right. At first I put it down to stress being moved into a new environment,but I have had her just over a week, she seems ok in herslef. Many thanks.

Karen

Edited by Kerryblue, 31 May 2010 - 11:07 AM.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
It sounds like gut lining, I did a load of pics of poo, havn't managed to capture a gut lining one yet. If htis is what it is its nothing to worry about.
If its cocci the poop will be all fresh blood, very much like a vein been cut. You will have to stay out wit the bird and follow her around, if its cocci, every poop will be the same.

The poop pics are  here

If it is cocci, she will need treating with Coxoid which is available through alot of outlets or a vet script.

cuckoomad

cuckoomad

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins
  • How did you find us?:Through another forum
  • LocationNear Rugby
About every tenth poo a chicken expels some of is cloacal lining, which can look pretty frightening if you are not aware.
It may be this you are seeing, I always think it looks like they have eaten tomatoes and they have passed straight through.

If it really is blood you see then chances are it is cocci, in which case you need to treat the bird with Baycox (POM) only available from a vet or Coxoid, which is made for pigeons and is available over the counter from most pigeon supply stockists.

jules

jules

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins, Cochins,Welsummers, hybrids,Orpington and Ancona
  • How did you find us?:adice from another site
  • Locationnorthampton england
thanks for that one of mine has just done a poo with blood so will keep an eye on it

elbowschickens

elbowschickens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationLaindon, Essex
we had some terrible poo's from deep red to raspberry! Then i realised they had been eating the fruit off my fruit trees! hope there all ok?

Kerryblue

Kerryblue

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the info..... I really feel so much better knowing that.... It is not fresh blood so I think it may well be the cloacal lining, being new to all of this is really making me feel paranoid.... I'm beginning to feel like a hypochondriac looking through a medical book!  :oops:

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Never feel paranoid Kerry and never feel bad about asking. The day you don't ask about something is the day that you should have, we've all been there and worried.

I have just been out in the garden following the hens around for hour, hoping that one would shed lining so I could take the picture! LOL Its too hot for them and me, so came inside and put the fan on!

Kerryblue

Kerryblue

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks AB.... I' sorry but I just can't imagine it.... wandering around the garden after the chickens looking for 'bloody poo!' lol. Mine are inside at the moment....I'll put them outside when the shade comes over ;) . Keep up the good work and...... thankyou for all your efforts! Karen  :clap:

Elbowschickens... Thats something to keep in mind actually. Thankyou for that. Karen  :wink:
Cuckoomad... That is a really handy thing to know. Thankyou for your input. Karen :)

Edited by Kerryblue, 03 June 2010 - 02:40 PM.

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
if its fresh blood you know like when you cut yourself and you bleed type then you may want to worry about cocidosis ACV (apple cyder viniger) is a good preventetive but I would take her to the vets just to be on the safe side you dont want to take any chances with something like that.

if she is laying and their are specs of blood on the eggs then you could be looking at something called a prolapsed vent which could be fatel.

If the blood is shades of pink then its just gut linning some young hens tend to do this a lot before they start to lay my hybrids started to do it but then i began adding ACV to their water and its much better now.

Kerryblue

Kerryblue

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi Henny... Angel looks just like your profile picture! She is approx 4 months old and is probably too young to lay eggs? It is more of a dark pink colour. I think I will try some ACV... Where can you get it from? (would ASDA sell it?) Many thanks Karen :)

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • LocationEssex
you need to get the stuff for pets Flyte so fancy sell it if you google them you should fine them eaqsy they stock everything and deliver fast I know of other members using the same supplier you dont want the stuff from the supermarket ive heard its not good for the chooks

dark pink sounds just like gut linning so I wouldnt worry Betty my poland in the picture is a Chamois i think Gold laced is another term they are lovely chooks im not sure what the POL is for Polands mine where pretty young when I bought them I got lucky and they all turned out to be hens ^^ alas i never noted down what age they started to lay but they will lay a white/pale cream egg

If they have not started to lay the ACV will improve that

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
The ACV that most of us use for our chooks has not been messed with totally unadulterated and unfiltered.

I don't know if Pets at Home are selling it now or not, otherwise have a look see if you have a horse/farm supllier near by as they may well sell it.

Its a heavy item, my last lot came from Flytes as I was ordering quite alot of bits.

Ce_Anx

Ce_Anx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Not sure
  • LocationNSW Australia
I found this, this morning and panicked.

Posted Image

But it seems, it's just the stomach lining, so no need to panic.

Thanks.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
You'll find a thread with lots of pics I took of chicken poop to allay peoples fears.HERE

sweetpea

sweetpea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:blue bearded silkies,polands
  • Locationbarnsley uk
thank you so much my 10 week old poland has bloody poo and now i know what to do i have been looking for an unseen injury thinking she had hurt herself how long will the meds take to work ive ordered them from amazon will it be ok for all the polands to have it that are housed with her or should i seperate  her from the flock

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
How much blood? If its almost pure blood she needs immediate attention, as then its most likely Coccidiosis.It will have spread among other birds with all probability, they will be droopy and huddled, not doing their usual chicken "thing". There is often a high mortality rate.
can I ask what have you ordered off the internet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users