Hen Poop

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Over the last few days, I have been following my girls around taking photos of poop! I know, nothing better to do, I hope these photos though, will show some of the many types of normal hen poop.

These pictures were taken over the course of a few days and varied diet. So some will seem to be quite green, as they had been eating cabbage. Some show tiny deposits in the poop, no not eggs but linseed seeds, which mainly pass through the hens. Also you will see sunflower seeds, broken up.

The white in the poop are the urates, the chicken equivalant of urine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
The approximately every 10-12 poops you will get a caecum poop. These range in colour from mustardy yellow through to brown and they can be frothy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
The next picture shows some gut lining has been shed, this is normal.

Posted Image

Its been quite warm this afternoon and the hens have been chasing around. If they get over heated they will often produce more watery droppings.

Posted Image

All of these are normal. If you see alot of fresh blood in the poop, it can be a sign of Coccidiosis(if there is no vent prolapse) and immediate treatment is required.

The other thing you might see in the poop are worms (hopefully not). These may either be alive or dead, if alive you need to worm your hens. If not you have probably just wormed them. I have no pictures of worms in poop, thankfully, but I am reliably informed that they look like rice noodles, very thin and some can be quite white.

Fluffychooks

Fluffychooks

Site Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,506 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Silkies, 1 Poland.
  • How did you find us?:Dean's article in the Echo
  • LocationBasildon, Essex
I thought you were posting a recipe for chicken poop!!!!  I'm glad I've eaten!  That first picture looks like a broody hen poo - they're usually enormous and very smelly!

Interesting post anyway!
Nina

http://www.urban-chickens.com - where great chicken keepers are found!!

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
both my big girls Henny and Sonia are doing the giant smellie ones at the moemnt and my Brahma is missing a few breast feathers wonders if she maybe broody???

anywho my new hybrids do poops with blood but its dried and their young so this is normal as ive read somewhere that hens do shed the inside of their stomach or something similar but their is no fresh blood its all ways pink/dry when I do find it, plus they seem fit and healthy otherwise will worm them soon and treat them for them frontline as ill be giving them a playmate in the form Henny.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Yes you do see a poop with some of their gut lining shed in it, which appears pinky/red. I havn't as yet managed to catch a"good one", before it starts to dry out. When I do I'll add it. I thought this would be good for new members who may worry about the various types that occur.

I am reliably informed from a friend that you can't miss the poop from Coccidiosis as there is alot of blood.

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
ah well then mine definately dont have it as the poops are pretty normal besides the occasional pinky red maybe ill take a pick the next time I see one.

A prolapsed vent is not easy to spot unless you identify patches of blood on the egg if its happening a lot then one should seek a vets attention preferably an avian vet as normal vets wouldn't know anything was wrong since they dont know chicken anatomy.

Treberfedd

Treberfedd

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:R.I.R, Black rock, Marans,Silkies, White Sussex, O.G.E
  • How did you find us?:surfin
  • LocationMiddleton, Manchester
:smile: Thank you for the pic's, i have ofteren wondered why there are differant types of poo went they all have the same diet

Bluebell

Bluebell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEssex
Well....I never knew that! Many thanks for the informative photos and now I can now read more into chook poop! Beats reading tea leaves.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Well I think my neighbours no longer wonder if I am a little dotty!

Treberfedd

Treberfedd

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:R.I.R, Black rock, Marans,Silkies, White Sussex, O.G.E
  • How did you find us?:surfin
  • LocationMiddleton, Manchester

AngelBear, on 10 May 2010 - 04:29 PM, said:

Well I think my neighbours no longer wonder if I am a little dotty!

:smile: sorry that made me smile

nellys girls

nellys girls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:bovans browns, white stars and black rocks
  • How did you find us?:advert in gardening mag
  • Locationlincolnshire
HI
WE HAVE GIANT POOPS AND ALL OTHER SORTS, YOUR PHOTOS WERE VERY HELPFUL, I WAS WATCHING A GREENISH, SOFTISH POOP, THNKING THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM,BUT NO, WE ARE OFFERING LOADS OF DIFFERENT TASTES. GOOSEBERYS ARE FLAVOUR OF THE WEEKS.

spizanne

spizanne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Marsh Daisy
  • How did you find us?:searching for POL's
  • LocationDevon
really helpfull post thanks. I found some blood in one of my chicks poops and worried myself sick for a few days but didn't get any more , now I know it's normal I wont worry quite so much next time

Chickenlips

Chickenlips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Marsh Daisy, Scots Dumpy
  • How did you find us?:search engine
  • Locationdevon
hmm... think I've seen those photo's before, where did you get them Christine?

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
As it says at the top, followed my hens around, so my back garden! Or at least the hen area of it. They were taken on a Fuji S8100fd last summer. The only pics I haven't got one are with coccidiosis or worms, and I should say fortunately.

cuckoomad

cuckoomad

Site Legend

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins
  • How did you find us?:Through another forum
  • LocationNear Rugby
You havent got a bright nearly fluorescent green one  :lol:

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
No I haven't! Haven't seen one quite that shade either thankfully, was that a case of too many greens?

richard1

richard1

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:White sussex
  • How did you find us?:found online
  • Locationstourbrigde
Many thanks, i found this very intresting some good usefull info with the photos.

dee

dee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:just deciding what to get, we want 3, probably hybrids, sussex appeals as does a speckeldy. was looking on her to get a feel for what would get on with what.
  • How did you find us?:google
  • Locationbishops stortford, uk
so useful thank you

Misscrazy

Misscrazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Ranger
  • How did you find us?:facebook
  • LocationLeicester

AngelBear, on 07 May 2010 - 03:37 PM, said:

The next picture shows some gut lining has been shed, this is normal.

Posted Image

Its been quite warm this afternoon and the hens have been chasing around. If they get over heated they will often produce more watery droppings.

Posted Image

All of these are normal. If you see alot of fresh blood in the poop, it can be a sign of Coccidiosis(if there is no vent prolapse) and immediate treatment is required.

The other thing you might see in the poop are worms (hopefully not). These may either be alive or dead, if alive you need to worm your hens. If not you have probably just wormed them. I have no pictures of worms in poop, thankfully, but I am reliably informed that they look like rice noodles, very thin and some can be quite white.

This is soooo helpful, sounds weird but it is.  Only had our hens for nearly a month so I'm learning so much.  Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users