Kevin

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Black Rock
  • How did you find us?:.
  • LocationSouthend-on-sea, Essex
1 on my cochins is laying eggs with very thin shells which sometimes is so thin they break.. the shell also have very rough surface.. all my other hens eggs are ok
my cochins have only been laying eggs for a few weeks now

Glennshens

Glennshens

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Brahma, Orpington, Cream Legbar, Bovans Goldline, Pekin Bantam and various others
  • How did you find us?:Internet
  • LocationNear Braintree Essex
First few eggs sometimes can come through thin or mishapen - this should sort itself out when the bird gets itself gets into a routine. Also make sure you have grit & crushed shell available at all times.

Make sure you are feeding the birds "layers pellets" and not "growers pellets".

Hopefully the problems will rectify by themselves though as this hen is new to laying.

All the best.
Claire @ Glennshens

lwescott

lwescott

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Hybrids, Buff Rock, Silkie, Aylesbury ducks
  • How did you find us?:Web
  • LocationBirmingham
Sounds like they need a bit more calcium :)

Try + get some limestone flour, and put it in their layers pellets. If you have some cod liver oil (chicken not human), put a little bit of that on the pellets to just coat them, then put the limestone flour on - it hekps it to stick :-)

Kevin

Kevin

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
they are all are laying pellets  and they do have shell available to them.. so hopefully if just cos its her first batch of eggs

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
I'd not had a shelless eg until last week, from one of my new girls. They all have a good diet with plent of oyster shell available etc. Sometimes I think its just the newbies getting used to the laying process, the egg moves through the system too fast!

Kevin

Kevin

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Only 1 of my cochins lay an egg today so i cant tell if the problem solved.. just have to wait til morning and see if i gt 2 cochins eggs

kennethw

kennethw

Grand Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Locationhants/Dorset border
I've had this problem with one bird. Patience and diet with plenty of calcium Wary of using egg shells as this can encourage egg eating and you may have cured one problem only to get another! Never let your chickens find out eggs are good eating or you'll end up with a queue at the nestbox waiting for the next snack to arrive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users