• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Anns chooks

Anns chooks

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Brahma's, Cochins, Orpingtons & Sicilian Buttercups
  • How did you find us?:Fancy Fowl
  • LocationNotts
Recently one of my Brahma hens started with a really awful smell from her vent.  When I checked her, there was heavy mucus stuff [called exudate] coming away from her vent and lots of crustation around her vent.

I have never dealt with this, but another poultry keeper had and gave me some good advice on how to treat it.  So as it has proved successful I thought I would pass it on to you.  

Vent Gleet also known as thrush is caused by a fungal infection.
Though not fatal in itself, it can cause secondary infections to develop which are.  When a hens immune system is compromised by illness other micro organisms [germs]can then develop secondary infections which the hens own defence systems struggle to fend off.

If left untreated it can cause problems to the reproductive tract, leaving scar tissue internally or around the vent causing deformity.  If the reproductive tract is damaged the hen may become infertile and if scar tissue deforms the reproductive tracts or vent the hen may be unable to pass an egg.  As a result of this the hen could develop peritonitis which is often fatal.  

Signs & symptoms of Vent Gleet

Smell. It smells utterly vile and putrid.
Crustations around outside or just into vent.
Inflamed [very red]or swollen vent.
Exudate Heavy foul smelling discharge from vent.

Treatment
Separate the hen so that others don't pick up the infection and so that you can monitor her  intake of food and water.  

If the hen is continuing to lay, check with vet for egg withdrawal time or do not use eggs for approximately two weeks post treatment to ensure its totally out of her system.  

Contact your vet and request a single sachet of Apralan. [Apramycin sulphate] Make the hen more comfortable by gently washing off exudate with mild soapy water rinsing well. Observe closely for lice/mites as they are particularly attracted by the exudate.

Apralan is an antibiotic used for pigs, but very effective in poultry with this type of infection. One sachet makes a Gallon/20 litres..  All that's needed is a small pinch in about a litre of water.

Give this as only source of water for approximately seven days.  

You with also need Terramycin spray as a topical [application to skin] treatment.  

Spray around the vent so that the whole of the area is covered blue, top up on a regular basis.  

To ensure your hen is receiving enough of the medication, an easy method is to soak a little bread in the water and feed it to her in bits as a treat.  

After a few days, wash off the Blue spray so that you can see the vent condition and judge for any improvements.  Continue with treatment even if vent looks better as the infection may not be totally killed off and will start again if treatment is stopped to early.  

For further information visit http://ultimatefowl....page/Vent Gleet

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
one of my bluebeles I think has this she too has a crusty smelly bum area after she had a problem with mites, poor lass no wonder she was looking so down.

I am pleased to say she has put on lots of weight and her immune systerm is back , where as before when i would give her baths she would tolorate it without fuss now if I give her bath she gets fed up and wants to get out after 15 minutes o.0

she is currently standing beside me after having had a bath I was unsucessfull in getting all the crusty bits off but ill see if my vet can give her the treatment.

Anns chooks

Anns chooks

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Brahma's, Cochins, Orpingtons & Sicilian Buttercups
  • How did you find us?:Fancy Fowl
  • LocationNotts
I'm glad it helped.  :clap:

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Another piece of knowledge to add to our arsenals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users