11 replies to this topic

woo

woo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Locationessex
I have a chicken who aways has a dirty bum, she never gets it clean, I wonder if I should give her a wash? or just leave it and not worry about it.

All the hens are in the same coop, I clean it out every day, or at least every other day sometimes if I am working. This time of year, there is more straw in there, as it helps to keep them warm.  But the rest never get all this muck stuck to their bums.

She is a hybred, quite a large bird, and very fluffy at the back, bit like an orpington, or maran, is this why?

The clever part is, she lays plenty of eggs, and they are nearly always clean, how do explain that?

Anyway, what do you think? Not sure if I should have put this in chat or not, hope its ok.

Dean

Dean

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 7,191 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Rhode Island Red, Polish
  • How did you find us?:I own & created the site!
  • LocationEssex
Hi Woo when was she last wormed?

If you enjoy Urban Chickens you can donate any time HERE

woo

woo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Locationessex
Hi Dean,
about 4 weeks ago, with flubenvet.  I put it in their feed, one tiny little measure-spoon full, did 2 kilos of feed, it said. I hope that was ok.
Because I only have 4 chickens, it takes them quite a long time to eat 2 kilos of pellets, and there is a lot of 'dust' in the bottom of the hopper that no-one eats. This made me wonder if they got the correct amount.  They are all young, at about 9 months old, and as far as I know they have not been wormed before.

They are free ranged in the garden almost every day.

I did not want to give them another dose yet, as I worry about overdosing them, but it does say in the instructions that they can have a higher dose, or more precisely for a longer period of time.
Do you think that might be it?

suezychick

suezychick

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSomerset

woo, on 24 February 2010 - 06:11 PM, said:

Hi Dean,
about 4 weeks ago, with flubenvet.  I put it in their feed, one tiny little measure-spoon full, did 2 kilos of feed, it said. I hope that was ok.
Because I only have 4 chickens, it takes them quite a long time to eat 2 kilos of pellets, and there is a lot of 'dust' in the bottom of the hopper that no-one eats. This made me wonder if they got the correct amount.  They are all young, at about 9 months old, and as far as I know they have not been wormed before.

They are free ranged in the garden almost every day.

I did not want to give them another dose yet, as I worry about overdosing them, but it does say in the instructions that they can have a higher dose, or more precisely for a longer period of time.
Do you think that might be it?

suezychick

suezychick

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSomerset
:smile: hello,

i don't know if this will help.
At this time of year i find my chooks will need a bit of a service. they free range but as the garden is muddy in places they will get mucky.
A bit of a clean up between their toes and their bums to trim away mud that has got stuck helps and I'm sure makes them feel all daper again.

sueze

woo

woo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Locationessex
Thanks Suezy
I think I might give the service thing a go.

suezychick

suezychick

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSomerset

woo, on 25 February 2010 - 11:01 AM, said:

Thanks Suezy
I think I might give the service thing a go.

Dean

Dean

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 7,191 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Rhode Island Red, Polish
  • How did you find us?:I own & created the site!
  • LocationEssex
My bantams need to go in the washing machine! :rofl:  :rofl:

If you enjoy Urban Chickens you can donate any time HERE

ScarlettBuffy

ScarlettBuffy

Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationIpswich, Suffolk
I have an Orpington who was just the same, always filthy around the bum.I washed her in some water with hibiscrub, only enough water to party cover her legs, and when the bum feathers have been washed clip them short with scissors. Towel dry, then blow dry if needed. It makes it much easier to keep clean, especially when the warm weather starts and they're flies about. I keep most of my 'fluffy' girls clipped short during the Summer just for safety.

4rosie

4rosie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGoole,east riding of yorkshire
hi woo,we have a large girl with the same problem,eggs always clean but always a dirty bum.it took us months to find the problem was she likes to sleep lying down on the straw and not on a perch with the others,this seems to be the reason for her dirty bum as far as we can tell,we just give her bum a wash every other week which she now loves.hope this is of some help
teddybear

woo

woo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Locationessex
Thanks for all your comments,

Your a wonderful lot, you always come back with an answer..... :idea:  I wondered if any of you should open a bum washing and clipping service? In these hard times, all avenues of money making opportunities should be thourghly explored, don't you think?

Now what should we call it, Wash and Dip....no err, Dip and Clip....no err,I know Fluff and Puff.. :mm:

Come on Dean, your the Entrepreneur!  Can we have services now as well as a shop?  :-D

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
Got brahmas were the weather has been wet it has not been kind to their feet and their run is covered it still gets wet they have muddy feet I spent an hour and half massaging water onto the balls of mud stuck around Sonias feet as she wouldn't go into the bath >.>

this year im moving them to a more sheltered run to reduce the problem as wet weather and brahmas feathered feet do not mix!!!

If you have any breeds with heavely feathered feet id highly recomend checking underneath after down pours its suprising how much mud they can hide before you spot it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users