• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
the following foods contain protien though im not sure which are good for chickens and which arn't. Sometimes chickens can't regrow feathers because they don't have enough protien naturally accuring in their bodys to produce it. some may require a protien boost every so often to ensure their producing enough to grow healthy feathers when they shed them a good time is at their moulting period.

My brahma saffi who has some big problems wth baldness but has increased the number of feathers growing on her neck since ive been giving her scrambled eggs with the shell crushed in for calcium. today she and her sister laid two almost whole eggs which had not been pecked or broken so im going to continue to feed her scambled eggs and hopefully this will help regrow the rest of her feathers too!

Seaseme seeds
Sunflower seeds
whole lentils/dried/boiled
chickpea's dried and boiled
kidney beans dried and bioled

flax seeds
pumpkin seeds
spinich
brocoli

Dean

Dean

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 7,191 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Rhode Island Red, Polish
  • How did you find us?:I own & created the site!
  • LocationEssex
good post  ;)

If you enjoy Urban Chickens you can donate any time HERE

Growler

Growler

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Bruce my cock has a bald patch on his neck im hoping the feathers will grow back might try the scrambled egg if i can get over the cannibal thing lol

Somerchooks

Somerchooks

Site Legend

• Supporter
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSomerset
i cant see anything in that list that would do them any harm , but its like everything else all good things in moderation . good post though .

Henny

Henny

Site Legend

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:2 Polish, 1 Gold Brahma, 1 milecent red hen, 1 light sussex and 1 sussex reverse
  • How did you find us?:Google
  • LocationEssex
Sunflower seeds are a very good idea as its common knowledge that this little seed helps greatly in growing good healthy and shiney feathers. even peple can benefit from eating sun flower seeds. The chickens can spend ages scratching around for sunflower seeds by throwing them on the floor it makes them work for the food and encourages natural behaviors chickens that spend most of their time in a run should have food of some sort to scratch at as they become bored and very noisey if they don't. Ive learn't that chickens raise their voices when they are bored and have nothing to keep them occupied food is a good motivator as they spend most of the day hunting for it if they could.

Markella

Markella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationHorsford, Norfolk
Why can't chickens eat meat as protein?  After all, left to their own devices they eat worms, insects, frogs even mice (I try to ignore this particular fact...........) so why not other forms of meat?  I once accidently gave them left over spaghetti bolognese and chopped up bacos rind, this was before I read the posts on here, and they went mental for it all - so not sure?

Also can they be given mealworms as occasional treat?

xx

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Yes they can have mealworms dried or live.

The reason you shouldn't give them other forms of meat is that you are chancing various diseases criss crossing the food chain. All to do with bio security, its what DEFRA states, no meat or scraps from the table to chickens. We all know it was done once, our parents and grandparents did it but we are not supposed to.

We put some sunflower seeds and their pellets on the run floor at night after they have gone into the coop. Then in the morning when the auto pop door opens, they have lots of scratching to do, keeps them quiet until Michael opens the run door to freedom.

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Percentages... Vegetable Protein List

Broccoli....45% protein
Cabbage....22% protein
Chick peas....24% protein
Flax seeds.....25% protein
Honeydew melon....10% protein
Pumpkin seeds....21% protein
Sesame seeds....26% protein
Spinach....49% protein
Sunflower seeds....23% protein

Markella

Markella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationHorsford, Norfolk
I worry about leaving food on the floor in run overnight as it might attract scuttley four legged creatures with tails........ *shudders cos she's a whuss*

Thanks for info on protein, I'll add some of those to their diet although they already get brocolli, cabbage and melon - they're less fussy than my son!

Christine

Christine

Site Legend

• Global Moderators
  • 5,988 posts
Ah we are lucky there, the run is weld meshed as is the immediate ground area around the run. They have sharp teeth but not that sharp.

cuckoomad

cuckoomad

Site Legend

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • What breeds do you keep?:Pekins
  • How did you find us?:Through another forum
  • LocationNear Rugby
Another source of protein is good quality chicken food  :grin: :rofl:  all other things in moderation.

Another good one with a bit of oomph is soaked cat biccies, a good quality one though, theres loads of rubbish on the market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users